Simon,

Of course the rowid is THE field to use to uniquely identify a row (for edit, delete, etc...). I am talking about some ranking a result set. The ranking can be used for displaying (in HTML or a desktop GUI) or as source for insert/update sql. Of course in code you can have your own counter; what about writing a simple sql in the shell tool or any sql editor (I use SqliteSpy).

There were lots of other questions about "re-assigning" the rowid to "natural" numbers (1..n); a solution would be to assign the rank to a field (another field, not the rowid).

See the reply from James for the problem and a sql solution:
http://www.schemamania.org/sql/#rank.rows
How can this be efficient??

I don't use mysql, but Tony writes it can apparently do something like:
SELECT @ROW:=@ROW+1 as ROW,* FROM table

Regards,
Gabriel