On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:04:52 +0200
Paolo Bolzoni <paolo.bolzoni.br...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Eduardo <emorr...@yahoo.es> wrote:
>
> > Can you show us the query and/or schemas? If not:
> Sure, I appended everything in the bottom of this email.
> Unfortunately gmail will mess-up the layout, I hope it will be
> readable.
>
> (See here, it seems google does not know the mean of "should")
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-mail-problem-solving-uk/p8KyYZR2e04
>
> > a) Does it JOIN multiple big tables (in rows and/or columns)?
> No, but I got a sub query is probably the culprit.
>
> > e) Did you normalize the database?
> Should be, yes.
>
> > In both cases (if you can show us the query/schema or not) what do you
> > really want to ask to the database? (not to us but to sqlite3, perhaps the
> > query can be reformulated)
>

> Here is everything... I think the problem is shown in the:
> Explain: 0 0 0 SCAN TABLE tour AS t1 (~1000000 rows)
> that is part of a sub-query.
>

> -- First statement (sets the pragmas):
>
> PRAGMA foreign_keys = ON;
> PRAGMA synchronous = OFF;
> PRAGMA journal_mode = MEMORY;
> PRAGMA cache_size = -10240;
> PRAGMA auto_vacuum = NONE;
> PRAGMA locking_mode = EXCLUSIVE;
> PRAGMA secure_delete = OFF;
> PRAGMA temp_store = 0;
>
> -- Second statement (creates/clean the schema):
> BEGIN TRANSACTION;
> DROP TABLE IF EXISTS tour;
> CREATE TABLE tour (id integer,
>                   score integer NOT NULL,
>                   cost integer NOT NULL,
>                   last_poi integer,
>                   unsorted_path blob,
>                   unsorted_path_tmp blob,
>                   PRIMARY KEY(id));

Some changes, if blob is bigger than a few bytes, you should normalize them. If
2 blobs are equal, their id must be equal and you don't waste time comparing
nor memory joining blob content. So you get:

 DROP TABLE IF EXISTS tour_blob;
 CREATE TABLE tour_blob (id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
                   n_blob blob);

 DROP TABLE IF EXISTS tour;
 CREATE TABLE tour (id integer,
                   score integer NOT NULL,
                   cost integer NOT NULL,
                   last_poi integer,
                   FOREIGN KEY (unsorted_path) REFERENCES tour_blob(id) ON
DELETE CASACADE,
                   FOREIGN KEY (unsorted_path_tmp) REFERENCES tour_blob(id) ON
DELETE CASACADE,
                   PRIMARY KEY(id));

You can replace tour_unsorted_path_idx with a new index too:

> DROP INDEX IF EXISTS tour_unsorted_path_idx;
> CREATE INDEX tour_unsorted_path_idx ON tour (unsorted_path);

 DROP INDEX IF EXISTS tour_unsorted_path_last_poi_cost_idx;
 CREATE INDEX tour_unsorted_path_last_poi_cost_idx ON tour (unsorted_path,
last_poi, cost);

Take care and make cost the last one, because cost is compared with inequality.

You use '==' instead '=', take care too. I made the same error in a mail some
weeks ago.

For this query:

> SQL STATEMENT: SELECT id FROM tour ORDER BY id LIMIT ?1
> Query:   SELECT id FROM tour ORDER BY id LIMIT ?1
> Explain: 0 0 0 SCAN TABLE tour USING INTEGER PRIMARY KEY (~1000000 rows)

I don't know why it doesn't use the primary index. Perhaps analyze statistics
before solves the problem.

HTH
---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorr...@yahoo.es>