On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:15:29 +0000
"Joseph L. Casale" <jcas...@activenetwerx.com> wrote:

> > If you make val unique -- and I see no reason not to -- then you
> > can select the id for every val you insert with "where val =
>
> I omitted the fact that val in table_a is unique.

Ah, that will be very helpful.

> Sending one large statement in this case would bypass the overhead,
> but using val as the reference would make the string very long. That
> text data might be several thousand chars long.

So, the integer is a proxy for a giant unique string.  OK, I might
have done the same thing.

In principle, because the text is unique, you can find the id with

        select id where val = 'giant string'

and that might be fine.  If it's not fine --if it's too slow or
unwieldy -- you might consider computing, say, an MD5 has of the giant
string and adding that as a unique column instead of the integer
primary key.

--jkl