Hi L,

This seems to be a somewhat classic case of "If your only tool is a hammer, every
job resembles a nail...".

Not only is Meta-data only a Mac thing, the ideal is non-reachable.

What I mean is: There is an infinite number of things that will kill a system, (any system), we single out the most pressing, and then the less pressing but probable, and then the not-so-probable but still obviously possible ones, and make systems prepared for those. Thereafter, the rest of the infinity of black holes you can step in are unlikely and there is no need to add weight to a system to avoid what is negligible. Add checking for 1 negligible error, and another will have merrit, fix that and another becomes reasonable - rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

I know that a negligible error becomes enormously a-negligible when you are the one encountering it and I sympathise - I would indeed encourage you to employ such checking when coding your system, and all of us might even benefit from it if you succeed and is generous enough to share.

Of course if the error becomes common-place, a fix whould definitely need to be considered. So far though, your case seems to be the only one of its kind that happened ever, or at least, got reported ever (at least that is what a google-search suggests, I took the lazy way out and did not search this list).

To get to an actual point: Did this just happen once or is it a regular problem for you or a specific system you use or specific way you use it?