Richard Hipp wrote:

> So you are creating a 27.5 GB database in under a half hour?
>
> What is your database page size?

Yes, to be exact, a 34.24GB database from (34GB+34GB) FASTQ files in that time.
I did not use any pragmas for swiching SQLite page size, so it should be the
default (probably 4096?).

> You might try programming a virtual table to read you FASTQ files, then
> transfer content from the virtual table into your real table using:
>
>     INSERT INTO realtable SELECT * FROM virtualtable;
>
> Information on virtual tables is at
> http://www.sqlite.org/vtab.html
> and you
> can find example code in some of the extensions at
>
> http://www.sqlite.org/src/tree?ci=trunk&name=ext/misc
> and in some of the
> test modules at
> http://www.sqlite.org/src/tree?ci=trunk&name=src&re=test_

It might be possible, but virtual tables live in memory (I am developing on
16GB), while my source files over 30GB each (I originally read the entire file
in a single operation into a string, didn’t work with the 30GB files, which is
why I switched to boost::mmap), so I don’t think it would work on my platform.

However, since the application is intended to be used on a computing cluster (a
generic node in our cluster would have 72GB of RAM, but I could request 384GB
“fat” nodes), it could work. However, I was working with 2 faculty with
conflicting views on the matter (the biochemist wants everything to work on
low-powered systems, the computer scientist is sure that everything would work
faster if I got the algorithm correct).

Kevin.