On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 11:00 PM, big stone <stonebi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did experiment splitting my workload in 4 threads on my cpu i3-350m to
> see what are the scaling possibilities.
>
> Timing :
> 1 cpu = 28 seconds
> 2 cpu = 16 seconds
> 3 cpu = 15 seconds
> 4 cpu = 14 seconds

If the info at
http://ark.intel.com/products/43529/Intel-Core-i3-350M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_26-GHz
is right, you have 2 cores, each having 2 threads. They're logically
"cores", but physically not so. My tests with any multi-threading
benchmarking including parallel quicksort showed that a similar i3
mobile processor rarely benefit after 2 threads, probably cache
coherence penalty is the cause. Desktop Intel Core i5-2310, for
example, is a different beast (4 cores/4 threads), 3 threads almost
always was x3 times faster, 4 threads - with a little drop.

It all still depends on the application. Once I stopped believing a
2-threaded Atom would show x2 in any of tests I made, when on one
graphical one it finally made it. But still if number of threads are
bigger than number of cores then it's probably a legacy of
HyperThreading hardware Intel started multi-threading with

Max