On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2014, at 10:07am, Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Store them as 32 hex digits, or 32 hex digits with the minus signs in, or as
> a 32-bit-length integer, I don't care, but have them conform to V1 or V4
> Algorithm generation, or something else mentioned on that page.

There's really no point wasting space to store a stringified 36-char
GUID, rather than storing that same guid as 16-bytes. Which algo
generated the GUID is embedded in the GUID itself, if it's standard
conforming, and is irrelevant to relational integrity anyway. All
RDBMSs can blob-to-hex if you want to see a dash-less hex GUID stored
as a blob or RAW, and you can write something in whatever (C, PL/SQL,
TSQL, pure SQL etc...) to splice the dashes in if you really want to.
A guid is a guid, irrespective of its actual representation. And
there's nothing wrong calling it as such. Store them as hex-encoded
(or octal, or base-64, ...) text if that pleases you, but that doesn't
make it any more or any less a GUID. --DD