On 22 Apr 2014, at 17:33, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> The usual solution here is to have a table that maps GUIDs into small
> locally-unique integers:
>
>    CREATE TABLE guid_id(id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, guid TEXT UNIQUE);
>
> Use the small integer "id" value for internal foreign keys and whatnot.
> And use the guid_id table to map GUIDs to id when moving data in from and
> out to the rest of the world.

Sorry, but does this not just over complicate the problem.

I would hazard a guess that most mobile apps that use an internal DB, use
sqlite. With inconsistent mobile network coverage, having pure client side PK
generation is a must and GUIDs solve that problem well. Has the time not come
to support a 128bit INT that can then be used for GUID?