> ​I understand that it is difficult to find the least greater character of a
given character

If you understand this, then you must admit that it cannot be done by the DB
engine.

Secondly:

I pointed out to the problems when deriving the string "abd" from "abc".
However, you suggest now a different way: extending "abc" to "abcX". Here
are first problems that came to my mind:

- Some languages do not have any official ordering at all - take Japanese,
for example.

- CZE/SVK: Adding 'Z' may lead to "DZ". (specific sorting applies)

- Look at Unicode code charts. What would you select? Many (if not most)
characters with high codes would be probably ignored by the collation. In
such a case your optimization would lead to no results at all.

I think that the answer is as before: The LIKE optimization cannot be
performed by the DB engine, but only by the collation author.