> However, I don't think it's necessary to solve this problem.  Just don't
try to optimize it.  Whoever is doing the programming knows that pattern
matching is slow.  If they want a fast solution they'll use BETWEEN instead.
And that will make them have to provide their own comparison strings.

It looks like you are now talking to Dr. Hipp.

Because we - application programmers - will eventually have to do the
optimization; the users will tell us when they are frustrated from the
waiting.

And whether we'll call it "LIKE optimization" or "using BETWEEN", the
problem remains basically the same.