Andy Goth wrote:

>And honestly, please don't give people with no knowledge of
>SQL theory the power to set your SQL schema in stone.

I am sure you mean Relational Theory, when using a database implementing
Relational semantics, such as SQLite.

There is no requirement that SQL (Structured Query Language) be implemented to
query a Relational Database.  There are many implementations which use SQL to
query data from hierarchical, network, network extended, and a myriad of other
underlying database storage mechanisms.  SQL no more binds the relational model
than using COBOL (a computer programming language) binds the implementation to
a 4341 SysPlex running OS/VS1.

SQLite implements an SQL interface using a relational access model against an
ISAM datastore.  Storing mutivalued (array) items is a violation of the
Relational Model, not SQL and not ISAM.  If you used, for example, ADABAS, then
you could store arrays in a table field and perform SQL operations against them
as if they were a BCNF normalized relational N:M join table.  Some other
not-so-relational relational databases support nonstandard means of achieving
the same thing.