On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:46 PM, J Decker <d3c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems like adding hex interpreting is just adding code for the sake of
> adding code.
> Unless the data is coming from some pre written text file, isn't just just
> as easy to format an into into decimal as it is for hex without having to
> add extra characters for the prefix?

One desirable aspect of code is that it is easily understood, that future
modifications / changes be as easy as possible. It is usually much easier
to see that 0x40000000 is a single bit set in a 32 bit integer vs seeing
the number 1073741824 and wondering exactly what it means. At least it is
to me.

For that reason, I think adding hex constants to the parser is a good idea.
If I were expressing wishes, I'd suggest adding binary constants (with a 0b
prefix) but that's probably pushing luck. :)

But no octal! At least not using the C syntax. I like being able to prefix
a decimal integer with 0 and not having it change the meaning (which can't
be done in C).
--
Scott Robison