On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 9:43 PM, forkandwait <webb.spra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stephan Beal <sgbeal@...> writes:
>
> > For the small percentage of users who need it (or would even know how to
> > apply it). i've been following this list since 2006 or 2007 and i recall
> > this topic having come up only a small handful of times, which implies
> that
> > only a small minority of users feels the need for it.
>
> or money, just that lack of mention on the listserv doesn't necessarily
> imply such a fact.

As a many-year veteran of open source projects, i can attest that the two
primary indicators for "do we need this?" are:

a) does it scratch a personal itch?

b) are users asking for it?

If (b) isn't happening where the devs can see it (the public lists/forums)
then it is, in effect, not happening.

i.e. i disagree with that point - not with the others brought up - i won't
argue their utility, but i will argue that they don't fit in "lite," given
the multiple estimates given with regards to their development effort over
the years. Many other products have them - use those. We don't need
windowing functions taking up space on all the Android phones and embedded
devices in the world (and those installations outnumber yours and mine by
many times over).

Now back to the in-progress horse beating, but whether the horse is dead or
not apparently remains to be seen...

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/