Ketil Froyn writes:
> Clicking the mailto works, but it's not a proper reply-to. These two
> messages have appeared as a separate thread in my mailbox, probably because > Larry's message didn't add the proper message-id reference. So if you reply
> like this on a high volume list, people following the thread might miss
> your post.

Actually, the mailto: URL has the proper In-Reply-To header to make threading work.

Unfortunately, the Thunderbird email client no longer knows what to do with it. This is a regression introduced in version 24.* and which appears to remain in the
present version 31.1.1 .

So, whether clicking that mailto: link will work (correctly) depends on the setup. With Thunderbird as the handler, it will mess up threading, at least today. I had to manually set the In-Reply-To: header (using the value from that URL) to get
this message to thread-link correctly (assuming it does!).