On 9/22/2014 3:42 PM, Jungle Boogie wrote:
From: Igor Tandetnik <i...@tandetnik.org>
The fact that the result is printed complete with $ sign suggests strongly
that the values are stored, and compared, as strings. '$999.63' > '$16695.36'
when using alphabetical comparison.

This is my mistake--ignore the dollar sign. I should have noted this
originally. Forgive me!

Dollar sign or not, the outcome you observe suggests that the values are stored as strings. What does this query return?

select typeof(transaction_amount), count(*) from august group by 1;

My guess is that most, if not all, rows would report typeof(transaction_amount) as 'text'.
--
Igor Tandetnik