FYI, you can support XP when building with VS2012 if you have VS2012 SP3
installed (which you probably do if you've installed current stuff), and set
the 'platform toolset' (under project properties, configuration properties,
general)  to 'v110_xp'  (I don't have it in front of me, this is from
memory).
It was a bug when vs2012 first came out, but they fixed it with sp3, and
word on the streets is that it works out-of-box with 2013.