Simon Slavin wrote on Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:19 AM
> I know that the internal structure of a table means that this number
> isn't simple to produce.  But is there really no faster way ?  This
> table is going to have about six times that amount soon.  I really
> can't count the rows in less than a few hours ?

Might it be possible to write a trigger that keeps track of
insertions/deletions and updates a counter in another table?

As another data point, I tested an 8 GB database on a SAN that has about 14
million rows, count(*) takes about 7 seconds.

Erik