On 11 Dec 2014, at 4:39pm, Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a little utility that connects to Oracle, and does a big UNION ALL
> query to get the counts of all my tables (82 currently):

Yeah, it's easy in Oracle.  The problem is that SQLite3 uses a tree to store
lists, and it does not store the total number of entries separately.  So to
count the number of rows in a table SQLite has to walk the entire tree: go up
and down all the branches to find which rows exist, whether any have been
deleted, etc..

SQLite4 uses a different file format and I understand it does not have this
problem.  Which doesn't help me at all right now.

Simon.