>You have a system with a bunch of apps installed.  You then upgrade to
>a new version of the operating system and a whole bunch of the apps
>break.  Do you think people blame the apps or the operating system?
>Do you think anyone takes the apps apart and blames them for using the
>wrong apis despite documentation to the contrary?

This is kind of begging the question.  There is lots of software that runs
perfectly well on *all* 32-bit capable versions of Windows.  This is not
particularly hard to do, you just have to not do stupid things.  If the
application has problems that is an application problem, or an application
design issue.  It has nothing whatsoever to do with the Operating System.

Quite frankly, it is a Microsoft strategy to force application incompatibility,
and something Microsoft sells as a "feature" to their ISVs.  Each new Microsoft
"thing" is sold to ISVs with the promise that "if you use this new buzzword
technology, which we have paid handsomely to have the pundit and magazine
writers claim is the greatest thing since sliced bread" we can guarantee you
that your customers will keep coming back and buying the same product over and
over and over again because we will "embrace, extend, and make incompatible",
deliberately, with each version and patch, in order to bolster your revenue
stream.  It is also sold to Enterprises on the same basis, because that ensures
that the IT Department will has to be continually staffed (big = more
underthings = higher paid execs = bigger budgets = bigger bonusses) with
throngs of people to keep running along the Microsoft designed incompatibility
treadmill.

---
Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.  Practice is when
everything works but no one knows why.  Sometimes theory and practice are
combined:  nothing works and no one knows why.