>Not, at least, when your database contains string data with unusual
>characters that Windows feels like it should translate for you...

Who can guarantee what characters are used in all their text strings,
much less guarantee what unnamed transformations windows is helpfully
doing to pipe data.

Saying "it probably will work" is not very satisfactory.

--

I did a little more experimentation, and found that the problem is on
the input side of the pipe.  Perhaps there is some windows conditioning

succeeds:
   cat < pipe.txt > pipe-out.txt
   sqlite3 database.sqlite
   .read pipe-out.txt