> Thanks.  I've run the schema and query here with the desktop version of
> SpatiaLite and it does not crash.  I suspect the underlying issue may be
> an alignment fault (or stack overflow) due to bad interaction between the
> ARM processor architecture and the SpatiaLite extension.

I'm not using the Spatialite extension for the query, only the indexes
created by it on the desktop which I think is a pretty standard SQLite
RTree. At least it works that way on the desktop.
Maybe I should attempt to create the database from scratch using geometry
bounding boxes for the index, but I can't see how this would be different.
Spatialite databases are really just complex SQLite databases

> Out of curiousity, do you know where to find the loadable module binaries
> for Windows CE (for SpatiaLite)?

That would be nice.
I have been trying to do something like this for years, but lacked the
necessary C skills to compile for Mobile. I think it has been done, but not
for recent versions that I am aware of.
My current projects for Android and IOS ran up against licensing issues for
the Spatialite dependent libraries in IOS so I started using the RTree to
run the query, then decode the Spatialite geometry BLOB afterwards. It seems
to run fine for my purposes without too much performance hit, so I revisited
the Windows Mobile 5/6 platform as we have quite a few still running and
they are still being used and sold  in the mobile GIS world despite
Microsoft's abandonment.
I was delighted to find that you are still supporting it.

Duncan