A good start at the long answer can be found in the archives of this list.

http://sqlite.1065341.n5.nabble.com/Simple-Math-Question-td85140.html#a85157
also found at
https://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users at
mailinglists.sqlite.org/msg04587.html
(web search sqlite "simple math question")

It has background, theory, and they show how the conversions of
decimals to floating point and how they add works, using several
examples.

regards,
Adam D.