Books that discuss BOTH R and SQL are a very small subset and assume some
knowledge of both.
R INTRODUCTORY BOOKS
1. Peter Dalgaard, "Introductory Statistics with R", 2002.
"The book is based upon a set of notes developed for the course in Basic
Statistics for Health Researchers at the Faculty of Health Sciences of the
University of Copenhagen. This course had as its primary target.. students
for the Ph.D. degree in medicine." Intro page viii.
body mass index (BMI) and age of menarche.
2. Jared Lander, "R for Everyone", 2014.
More modern, but less focused on health and a little more scattershot.

R AUTHORITATIVE REFERENCE
1. Brian Ripley and William Venables, "Modern Applied Statistics with S",
2002.

Anything by John Chambers, Robert Gentleman or Brian Ripley or any member
of the "R Core Development Team" can be considered authoritative (the stuff
you can footnote without frowns) on R.

Also, if you are going to use the R mailing list read all of the PDFs that
come with the base installation of R. Its better now, but the R mailing
list used to have a very strong "RTFM" attitude and did not want to explain
anything that was clearly covered in the manuals. Especially read the "R
Import/Export Manual" PDF.

ADVANCED R (with SQL)
Depends on what you are doing.
If you working with health surveys,
Thomas Lumley's "Complex Surveys" is invaluable!!!!  One of Lumley's
examples is the CDC's BRFSS, "The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System
 (BRFSS) is the world's largest, on-going telephone health survey system."
(from CDC website). Which in Lumley's example is:

   - The BRFSS 2007 data as a HUGE (245Mb) SQLite database
   <http://r-survey.r-forge.r-project.org/svybook/brfss07.db>.
   ?"?

1. Thomas Lumley, "Complex Surveys: A Guide to Health Analysis Using R",
http://r-survey.r-forge.r-project.org/svybook/index.html

On the other hand, if you are dealing with biological data such as trying
to match results from GeneChips with existing reference sources you might
prefer Robert Gentleman's "R Programming for Bioinformatics" especially,
Chapter 8 "Data Technologies".

1. Robert Gentleman's "R Programming for Bioinformatics", 2009.
"We begin our discussion by describing a range of tools that have been
implemented in R and that can be used to process and transform data. Next
we discuss the different interfaces to databases that are available, but
focus our discussion on SQLite as it is used extensively within the
Bioconductor Project." page 229
The databases discussion resumes on page 238, Section 8.4, discusses SQLite
on page 241 including  a specific example:
"In the code below we load the SQLite package, initialize a driver and open
a dataase that has been supplied with the RBionf [R] package that
accompanies this volume. The database contains a number of tables that map
between identifers on the Affymetrix HG-U95v2 GeneChip and different
quantities of interest such as GO categories or PubMed IDs (that map
published papers that discuss the corresponding genes). We then list the
tables in that database."

Sometimes we get tired of reading dry tomes and we prefer something more
chatty and amusing.

For R and other tools I enjoy reading:

Cathy O'Neil's and Rachel Schutt's "Doing Data Science: Straight Talk from
the Frontline", 2013. It's an O'Reilly book.

For SQLite, I enjoy
Michael Owen's, "The Definitive Guide to SQLite", 2006. -- maybe not the
whole book, but the Chapter 4 example page 75 "Foods mentioned in episodes
of the Seinfield sitcom" is a hoot (and turned out to help me solve an real
world problem).

If you are doing anything beyond Stats 101 classical statistics it helps to
understand the Bayesian bogeyman.

A fascinating, non-technical, historical account is provided by Sharon
Bertsch McGrayne, in her book "The Theory that would not Die...".

BAYESIAN STATISTICS (HISTORY)
Sharon Bertsch McGrayne,
"The Theory That Would Not Die
How Bayes' Rule Cracked the Enigma Code, Hunted Down Russian Submarines,
and Emerged Triumphant from Two Centuries of Controversy"
?, 2011.
http://yalepress.yale.edu/book.asp?isbn=9780300169690

"For the student who is being exposed to Bayesian statistics for the first
time, McGrayne?s book provides a wealth of illustrations to whet his or her
appetite for more. It will broaden and deepen the field of reference of the
more experienced statistician, and the general reader will find an
understandable, well-written, and fascinating account of a scientific field
of great importance today. "
http://www.ams.org/notices/201205/rtx120500657p.pdf
All the more timely with the release of the movie "The Imitation Game",
because Turing & Co. cracked the German Enigma code using Bayesian
statistics.?
There few specific "Bayesian" packages in R (an interface to BUGS); but it
lurks in the background of many of them  -- any use of the word "prior".

Hope this helps.
Jim

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 11:28 AM, VASILEIOU Eleftheria <E.Vasileiou at ed.ac.uk