I as well disagree that "the higher language, the better".  The bloat .NET
adds to the application size for both processing, memory and drive usage is
astronomical.  Its like going back to Visual Basic and including the
interpreter in your "compiled" application with your source code basically
copy/pasted right into the final EXE output (Encrypted/obfuscated/whatever).

I don't write in .NET, but I do agree for a developer, it CAN be a lot
easier with everything that language has to offer.  The libraries and
functions and procedures and mechanisms and whatever else included to make
our jobs easier are numerous.  But optimization goes out the window when
your 'compiler' does nothing more than translate your code at run-time
instead of converting it into byte-code the OS will understand and deal
with more directly. Everything has to eventually work its way down to
byte-code, but including the overhead of translating the language at
run-time doesn't help in the least.