On 2015-06-17 9:50 PM, david at andl.org wrote:
> The question for now is: does a new database programming language have a
> place?

When you ask the question as broadly as that, the answer is most definitely
"yes".

Just look at the wider world and you see there are dozens of application
programming languages that have widespread use (and hundreds more that are more
niche), and new ones that become widespread are appearing at a rate of around 1
a year on average, such as Swift and Go.  The fact that these catch on means
there are large numbers of people who think that there are worthwhile new
languages, that don't just think we already have all the ones we need.

I look at the database world in contrast, that is languages that are
particularly savvy for the relational model like SQL, and I notice the world is
largely passing it by in attempts to make a serious alternative.  I also
believe
the world is ripe to have SQL alternatives, its just a matter of ones appearing
that are compelling to users for real work and not just an academic exercise.
The fact we're still generally with SQL means this hasn't happened yet, but
that
doesn't mean it won't.

-- Darren Duncan