I disagree with the idea that a good SQL alternative would just be a superset
of
SQL as you propose.

That has already been done numerous times, the principal manifestations being
each SQL DBMS that has its own small or large differences in syntax and
features
from each other.

SQL is already a very complex language due in part to most of its features each
having their own custom syntax, often several variations per feature to boot,
as
well as lots of arbitrary limitations or specified inconsistent behaviors, a
lot
of these for keeping backwards compatibility with various old or
vendor-specific
ways of doing things.

What a good SQL alternative would actually be is a much more self-consistent
and
less redundant than SQL.  It would still have all of SQL's expressive power and
features so that any SQL code can be translated to it, including automatically,
without too much circumlocution.  That is how you would simplify the transition
and re-utilization of existing code.  The good alternative would actually be
easier for a DBMS to implement also without losing any power.

-- Darren Duncan