Gentlemen, thanks all for your comments.  Before I posted I knew the
thousands separator was problematic for the reasons stated by Simon.  I
figured it was intentionally left out of sqlite's printf(). I wanted to
make sure I was not missing a known or easy solution.

As sqweek/Mohit suggested I will attempt a post processing/function
solution. I did not go that route to begin with as I was concerned about
performance and an extension seems cleaner.

www.sqlite.org/loadext.html states that: "Loadable extensions are C-code."
 Can someone confirm this please.

If I figure out some clever I will share for the benefit of other shell
junkies that like neat easily readable numeric output - all 6 of us :)