Like the "resource fork" on the older MacOS systems? I think that OS/2 also
has "extended attributes"(?) which could be set.
<quote from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes

In OS/2 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS/2> version 1.2 and later, the High
Performance File System
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Performance_File_System> was designed
with extended attributes in mind, but support for them was also
retro-fitted on the FAT
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table> filesystem of DOS.
For compatibility with other operating systems using a FAT partition, OS/2
attributes are stored inside a single file "EA DATA. SF" located in the
root directory. This file is normally inaccessible when an operating system
supporting extended attributes manages the disk, but can be freely
manipulated under, for example, DOS. Files and directories having extended
attributes use one or more clusters
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_(file_system)> inside this file. The
logical cluster number of the first used cluster is stored inside the
owning file's or directory's directory entry
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT_extended_file_attributes>. These two
bytes are used for other purposes on the FAT32 filesystem, and hence OS/2
extended attributes cannot be stored on this filesystem.

Parts of OS/2 version 2.0 and later such as the Workplace Shell
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workplace_Shell> uses several standardized
extended attributes (also called *EAs*) for purposes like identifying the
filetype, comments, computer icons
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_icon> and keywords about the file.
Programs written in the interpreted language Rexx
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rexx> store an already parsed
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parse> version of the code as an extended
attribute, to allow faster execution.
</quote>