All,

Any thoughts on using the first byte of a BLOB to indicate
what kind of data that BLOB contains?

For example:
0 = plain old bytes
1 = 16 bit integers
2 = 32 bit integers
3 = singles
4 = doubles, etc.

I am forced to consider this approach because my function
will be receiving blobs but will have no idea what those
blobs are. However, I can ask the sender to prepend the blob
with an indicator byte to provide the necessary information.

In the past I have used comments in the table structure and
even used custom types (e.g. i16BLOB, for a blob that
contains 16 bit ints), but in this case I will not have
access to that information. The data is coming to me in the
form of an ADO.NET DataTable which does not contain such
information.

Of course tagging the blobs like this will increase the size
of the database, but not by much, and if this "feature" is
not clearly documented someone in the future will have a
very hard time figuring out why the blobs don't make sense.

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Bill