On 20 Apr 2016, at 9:36am, Cecil Westerhof <cldwesterhof at gmail.com> wrote:

> On a clean system:
> SECURE_DELETE=1, DROP ONLY          17  minutes
> SECURE_DELETE=1, DELETE and DROP    14  minutes
> SECURE_DELETE=0, DROP only           4? minutes
> SECURE_DELETE=0, DELETE and DROP      ? minute
>
> [...]
>
> I am baffled.

/You're/ baffled ?

There have been recent optimizations for "DELETE FROM myTable" with no WHERE
clause.  They now recognise that deleting all rows from a table is a special
case and do it very efficiently.  But, with settings remaining the same,
there's no way that DELETE DROP should take less time than DROP by itself.  The
development team /does/ read this list and I'm sure someone is looking at this.
 No need to post it as a bug anywhere.

My only guess is that somehow caching is playing a big part in this.

Simon.