On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Mark Foley <mfoley at novatec-inc.com> wrote:

> I'm running this on Linux. That Windows notation doesn't work.
>
> sqlite3
> "*file:*/mnt/tmp/Users/.../AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/8sbpxrwj.default/calendar-data/local.sqlite\?mode=ro"
> "select distinct value from cal_properties where key = 'CATEGORIES'"
> Error: unable to open database
>
> "*file:*/mnt/tmp/Users/hcarr.HPRS.000/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/8sbpxrwj.default/calendar-data/local.sqlite\?mode=ro":
> unable to open database file

There's no "Windows notation". Nor is it *file:*, it's just file: (file
followed by colon, just like http: in URL)

The first example didn't have it, and I added some emphasis since you
missed it the first time around.
But if you mail client is ascii-only, the emphasis shows up with the extra
"stars".

On Linux, just use single-quotes to avoid escaping the question mark.
sqlite3 'file:path?mode=ro'

I'd show you if the ancient SQLite3 on my RH6.5 wasn't so old it doesn't
support multi-row inserts or URI filenames. --D