> > Any insight into what they were thinking?  Back when I used Windows
> > daily, it used to annoy me that every morning the machine had to warm
> > up again, to revive the state I'd left it in the night before.  In
> > NetBSD I learned that unused memory is unused, so why not use it?

The file caching algorithms in DOS and OS/2 were patented technology of IBM.
Microsoft was not permitted to use them (that is why Microsoft *never* had any
sort of disk cache that ever worked, even in DOS), plus Microsoft is a Low
Wattage company.

OS/2 had IBM cache technology in it which worked properly.  However, when
Microsoft broke the Joint Application Development Agreement with OS/2 New
Technology 2.0 (which they renamed to just "NT") Microsoft had to remove all of
IBMs code and write their own.  As I said previously, Microsoft is pretty low
wattage when it comes to understanding how and why things work and how to make
computers work efficiently.  After all, they do stupid shit like optimize for
maximum CPU usage, and then put that in their documentation as a crowning
achievement.