On 7 Feb 2016, at 1:51pm, Bernard McNeill <bm.email01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it correct to say that, under Linux, if SQLITE_EXTRA_DURABLE is set (and
> all other settings are left as default values), and with the further
> assumption that the hardware
> reports write status accurately to the OS, then SQLITE_OK will only be
> returned after a transaction is irreversably fixed on the disk?

As far as we know, yes.  But the assumption you mentioned doesn't hold on a
setup intended for normal desktop use.  Never.  It'll happen only when you have
bought server-range storage devices and they have their jumpers set for server
use.

I once put together a computer which everything in server mode and installed a
standard copy of Windows XP and Office on it.  It was horribly laggy to use.
Took two minutes to boot, over a minute to load Word, and got about three
keystrokes a second once Word was loaded.  Something like 20 seconds to switch
which App was foregrounded.  I loaded Doom on it and got something like ten
frames a second.

I really must do this experiment again since the figures I got don't mean
anything to todays users and they need something they can relate to.

Simon.