Clarification to my own post:

When I talk about buffering, say, 16MB of write transactions in memory, I want
the effects transactions to be visible to readers immediately (once they are
"commited" to RAM). This seems akin to WAL mode where SQLite scans the .wal
file prior to scanning the .dat file on SELECTs.

(BTW, I'm using WAL mode and have found it performs better than standard
journal mode on pretty much every target device.)

Dave

Sent with inky<http://inky.com?kme=signature>

"Dave Baggett" <dmb at inky.com> wrote:

OK, that helps -- thank you.

One clarification: is it the case that transaction bundling ONLY affects
write/delete operations -- i.e., those operations that alter the database?

Another clarification: is it the case that writes within a single transaction
will remain in the in-memory page cache until COMMIT is issued? I see various
pragmas like cache_spill that seem to control the page cache but I'm confused
as to what they do.

Finally, is there a way to tell SQLite I would like to buffer, say, 16MB of
write/delete transactions in memory before the transactions are written to
disk? Here I am talking about the meta level above the transaction level -- I
have atomic transactions and I want to defer physically writing them until I
have enough of them (say, 16MB worth of altered pages).

Dave