30-01-2016 14:59, R Smith:

> On 2016/01/30 3:22 PM, E.Pasma wrote:
>> The diagram got broken in my email and here is another try:
>>
>> Needs to be light | Needs to be    | Needs to do  |
>> (small footprint) | Human-Readable | calculations |
>> ----------------- | ---------------| ------------ |
>> YES               | YES            | NO           | Integer as
>> |                |              | Igor's suggestion
>> |                |              |
>> YES               | NO             | YES          | Float/Int
>> |                |              | Julianday
>> |                |              |
>> NO                | YES            | YES          | Datetime/Numeric
>> |                |              | ISO Standard
>
> Thank you for the fix.
>

>> With respect to Igor's suggestion, yyyymmdd (as integer), why not leave out
>> the century? I prefer the oldfashoned yymmdd.
>
> When dealing with a localized context around the current period, a two
> digit date is often enough - so if you see '12 or '16 or '20 you can
> easily assume that to mean 2012, 2016 etc. But what if you see '51?
> Would that be 1951 or 2051?
> The context would probably enlighten the meaning, but it's best to leave
> context to the users and not pre-empt it during the design phase. A
> four-digit year is best for standard human reference. (You won't need to
> also add the AD. bit)  :)

My private use is adding yymmdd as an extension to document names on my
computer. You can leave it to me to know what 550501 refers to.
Professionally this sounds very bad, agreed with the others. But a system
may deal with a two-digit date according to clear rules. See the Oracle RR
date format

 http://oracleeducation.blogspot.nl/2007/05/oracle-date-format_22.html

But I may bring this up after a couple of decades again :-)