IIRC, the SQL ISO standard defines the pronunciation of the term ?SQL? as
"ess-cue-ell?, although if you trace SQL back to the IBM days of SEQUEL, there
is a strong argument that the term ?sequel? makes more sense.

I know when the SQLite development team speaks about it, they tend to use the
term ?ess cue ell lite? (technically doubling the ?L?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jib2AmRb_rk

When writing the book ?Using SQLite,? I actually had a rather long discussion
with my editor about this, since the pronunciation affects the choice of words
when talking about ?an ess-cue-ell lite database? vs ?a sequel-lite database?
(?an? vs ?a?).  Knowing the development team tends to pronounce the letters, I
went with ?an.?

  -j