> > But I think if you compile code for the x64 processor chip and call it
> > from x86 or vice versa then either it doesn't work or you pay a high
> > price for thunking from one to the other. I think that's unavoidable
> > regardless of OS.
>
> Right: doesn't work.  There's no performance penalty because there's no
> 32-64 bit thunking layer.
>
>       https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20081020-00/?p=20523

An interesting post, but not I think from someone with a deep understanding
of the matter.

IMHO it would be perfectly possible to chunk either way, within the
limitations of a 4GB address space. The WOW64 layer already provides the
means for x86 apps to call the x64 Windows API. A thunk can do anything,
unless it's physically impossible or blocked by policy.

Regards
David M Bennett FACS

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org