Dear Richard,
Dear SQLiters,

Thank you, Simon, for sending the link. I would like to offer several comments
on the podcast.

1. Why SQLite is popular.

Instead of describing how I selected SQLite to solve our DB needs, I will
recount story of Sony, its introduction of transistor radio that I read in
Innovator's Dilemma by Clayton Christensen. (Very good book and author, I
recommend.)

First transistor radios were poor in sound quality compared to those based on
vacuum tubes. But they were lite (misspelled intentionally), and small. They
were bought by teenagers, because they were cheap and portable. The big radio
manufacturers did not even consider transistor radios as competitors because
traditional competition was based on sound quality, not portability. Over the
years, transistor technology improved and all vacuum radio manufacturers
disappeared.

Richard said: "We do not compete against Oracle, we compete against fopen()."
This is true, just like transistors. But SQLite displaced many big DBs and now
Oracle etc have smaller market share. If I apply ideas of Innovator's Dilemma,
their market share will continue to shrink. (I am not an MBA, I am a physicist,
could be wrong but looks reasonable.)

2. Job to do

This is related to 1, and to ideas I read in Clayton Christensen books.

Many SQL databases are very similar in what they can do, performance etc. Thus
SQLite wins, just like Sony's first transistors, because it does NOT compete
with them. It can not handle huge write concurrency or optimize for similar
requests over history. Instead, it is easy to install and use. Its column
types, affinity, makes SQLite suitable for both relational and
entity?attribute?value models.

It turns out that many "customers" simply do not need the functionality and
optimization offered by big DBs. Instead, like teenagers, they need
portability, ease of use and set up. This solves the job. Big DBs are overkill
for such "small" jobs, requiring a lot of learning and expense. But there are a
LOT of these small jobs and SQLite solves them admirably.

3. Code rewrite, robustness, licensing

Code rewrite or static linking make the final product more robust. Robustness
simplifies support and debugging. Robustness attracts users. We all want OUR
thing to work and if our thing depends on SQLite, we want SQLite to be robust.
And thus, the SQLite licensing.

4. Fossil and other in-house software

Writing your own code is driven by the lack of needed features in available
products. In the beginning, Ford had to build its own metallurgy plant to
ensure quality of metal. This and 3 above are integration of what is not good
enough to make it good together. Over the years, metallurgy industry matured
and Ford closed this division.

There are many other aspects in the podcast that I would like to comment. Even
when Richard tells the story and many elements look accidental, they all fit
into the timeline of unfolding disruptive innovation.

SQLite was and is a disruptive innovation. SQLite is not a toy.

Thank you for making it.

Roman