> No, I'm using consolas, but am using whatever default codepage settings
> come with the system (I installed Windows 10 1511 February update on a new
> computer a few months ago). ACP=1252, MACCP=10000, OEMCP=437. chcp reports
> my console is using code page 437.

Fascinating!
This means that changing the default OEMCP in the registry is not the same as
changing the codepage on the console with chcp.

> In any case: the keyboard input with the SQLite shell on Windows 10
> default configuration (with consolas as the font) clearly does translate code
> points to UTF-8 sequences.

I wonder if the difference between your ALT+223 and ALT+0223 is because the
OEMCP is being used to translate the "input" in the former case (but not when
using ALT+0223, which forces a unicode code point), and since I have changed
the OEMCP to be the same as the ACP, I get Unicode code points even without the
leading 0's.

But yes, you are correct.  The translation to UTF-8 in and out does seem to
work as it should.