On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 12:03 PM, Dominique Pellé <dominique.pe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>
> > CREATE INDEX has two problems:
> > 1) poor default location of temporary storage.
> > 2) gets wedged on very large indexes.
> >
> > I'm using the sqlite that came with Xubuntu 14.04, I think it's version
> > 3.8.2.
>
> SQLite-3.8.2 is old (Dec 2013). It's better to download and
> compile SQLite yourself.
>
> There has been several optimizations since that release.
> In particular, looking at release notes at
> https://sqlite.org/changes.html the following
> improvement which may be relevant for your issue:
>
> === BEGIN QUOTE https://sqlite.org/changes.html ===
> 3.8.10:
>
> Performance improvements for ORDER BY, VACUUM,
> CREATE INDEX, PRAGMA integrity_check, and
> PRAGMA quick_check.
> === END QUOTE ===
>
> Regards
> Dominique

I use the LTS (long-term support) version of Ubuntu, and like not having to
keep up with all the latest.  My current 14.04 is at end-of-life, and I'll
upgrade to 16.04 soon -- probably this weekend -- and get sqlite 3.8.17
automatically.

I'm a hobbyist going solo with a lot of interests.  This means I have to
accept the concept of "good enough" or pare down my interests to those I
can devote admin time to on a regular basis. Even more so when I haven't
really decided to adopt the package yet.

Works for me, but YMMV.

--
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb)) /* Shakespeare */