On 08/09/2016 12:48 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 11:11 PM, Dan Kennedy <danielk1...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 08/08/2016 02:03 AM, Dominique Pellé wrote:

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

CREATE INDEX has two problems:
1) poor default location of temporary storage.
2) gets wedged on very large indexes.

I'm using the sqlite that came with Xubuntu 14.04, I think it's version
3.8.2.

SQLite-3.8.2 is old (Dec 2013). It's better to download and
compile SQLite yourself.

There has been several optimizations since that release.
In particular, looking at release notes at
https://sqlite.org/changes.html the following
improvement which may be relevant for your issue:

=== BEGIN QUOTE https://sqlite.org/changes.html ===
3.8.10:

Performance improvements for ORDER BY, VACUUM,
CREATE INDEX, PRAGMA integrity_check, and
PRAGMA quick_check.
=== END QUOTE ===

3.8.7 introduced the multi-threaded sorter too. So with a more recent
version of SQLite,

   PRAGMA threads = 4

might help this case.

   https://sqlite.org/pragma.html#pragma_threads

Dan.

Very cool.  But 4?  I will be running this on machines with 8 and 16
cores.  Does going beyond 4 not help much?

I don't know. If you have 8 or 16 cores it very well might.

Dan.