I'm not familar with the wrapper you're using, but don't you have a
commit without a matching begin? Did you establish a lock on the table
before
trying to update? Are you updating a table that you currently are reading from?
As in:
select * from t;
for each result
  update t set field = blah;
next

--
---
You a Gamer? If you're near Kansas City:

The Castles of Dereth Calendar: a tour of the art and architecture of
Asheron's Call
http://www.lulu.com/content/77264