On Jun 9, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Jay Sprenkle wrote:

I'm not familar with the wrapper you're using, but don't you have a
commit without a matching begin?

The commit is in the "wrapper," not in the SQL. When making a database connection, I specified to turn AutoCommit to OFF. Hence, I have to explicitly $dbh->commit (unless I understand DBI incorrectly, in which case, I hope some Perl-ers on this list might correct me).

Did you establish a lock on the table
before
trying to update?

Nope, nothing that I did to create such a lock. The UPDATE in question is the very first statement.

Are you updating a table that you currently are reading from?
As in:
select * from t;
for each result
  update t set field = blah;
next

Nope. the sequence I've described below is exactly how it goes. Create an UPDATE statement. Execute it. Commit it. Wait for the error message to pop up telling me that the database is locked.

Harrrrumph!