Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
An interesting method is "progress":

  "The progress callback can be used to display the status of a lengthy query
   or to process GUI events during a lengthy query."

But I'm not quite sure presently, how it could look like in practice? To make
a "progress bar" I've got to know a maximal value of the records (table
rows) involved in a query BEFORE it'll be caused to run.

Perhaps again I've missed some simple thing(?) - but currently I don't know,
how can it be done in a simple way. The methods "changes" and "total_changes"
are giving the number or rows involved AFTER the query is done. So, how can
I count it all before, to make a nice looking progress bar? Just by making
additional, earlier query like "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM xyz WHERE <condition>"?

Perhaps someone could show me some example?
You cannot know the result of a query until it is finished, and when it is finished there is no need for a progress bar.

The obvious solution is to not use a bar but to have another form of progress indicator.