Nicolas Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 01:30:01AM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > And yet nearly everyone I know loaths that behavior.  The
> > overwhelming majority of users prefer mailing list replies
> > to go back to the mailing list *only*.
>
> Users need to learn to do "list reply" or "reply all" :)
>
> Getting dups (reply all) is no big deal (and even desirable!).
>
> There's a mailing list I'm on where someone tried to respond privately
> to another poster, but didn't realize that reply-to was set, and the
> reply went to the list; that reply was a bit embarrassing.  I don't
> recommend that.

The much, much more common mistake is that users press reply
instead of reply-all and they message does not go back to the
list.  This happens with alarming regularity.  And when the
reply does not go back to the list, their contribution to the
conversation is lost from the archive.  This is bad.

Furthermore, reply-all causes the original sender to get two
copies of the message instead of one.  My mailbox is full enough
already without getting two of everything.

In the very rare case where you want to respond to the individual
rather than to the list, it is easy enough to change the To: field
of your email.  But responding to an individual should be the
exception, rather than the rule.  Remember, we want all responses
to be on-list because usually when one person asks a question, there
are a dozen others that have the same question but have not yet
asked it.  If people reply off-list, then the same question gets
asked and answered over, and over again.  But if the answer is
on-list, then multiple people can benefit from the answer.

The common case is responding to the list.  Without Reply-To munging,
if you press reply-all, then you have to go up and manually remove
the original senders name from the To: field.  This is extra work
in the common case.  We perfer to optimize the common case, rather
than the exceptional case.

A better way of avoiding embarrassment from public revelation of
secretive correspondence is to deal openly and honestly with
everybody in the first place.

--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>