Hi list,

this is my first post to this list and the first time I am using SQLite (3.6.1
from source on Debian and Ubuntu) in a program of mine so I obviously don't
have much experience with it. I am glad for the documentation (otherwise I
would have missed that FOREIGN KEY constraints are ignored and have to be
added using triggers) but I am unclear on a few things regarding FTS3 (or
full text search in general).

In particular I'd like to know the best practise on incorporating FTS3 into an
existing database schema, possibly already populated with content. There are
some fields of some of the tables in the database that should be be full text
searchable. How to go about that?

Obviously I have to create some virtual tables that hold the text that will be
searched. But how do I link the virtual tables to the "real" tables so that I
know the table and the row in which a field with matching content was found?
Do I, every time I insert text into a field, or change the text in a field of
the real table, have to programmatically or manually update or change the
text in the corresponding virtual table as well?

As you can see I am not very familiar with how these things are supposed to
work. The documentation [1, 2] on the website is fine for explaining FTS
itself but I couldn't find anything on how to incorporate FTS into a real
application.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. If there is any FM I should R kindly
point me to it :)

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

[1] http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=FtsUsage
[2] http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=FullTextIndex
--
Andreas Ntaflos
Vienna, Austria

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4