On Wednesday 27 August 2008 16:39:05 P Kishor wrote:
> So, now help me and the rest of the community making a nice set of FTS
> notes that contain all the info, from compilation to usage. ;-)

Once I finish the application in question and can say with certainty that I
used FTS well and know all the steps hopefully I'll get right on it :)

Somewhat related and probably interesting to all who use your notes as
examples, the query:

SELECT a.paper_id, a.paper_name, snippet(b.paper_text)
FROM paper a JOIN fts_paper b ON a.paper_id = b.rowid
WHERE b.paper_text MATCH 'automatically';

should really be:

SELECT a.paper_id, a.paper_name, snippet(fts_paper)
FROM paper a JOIN fts_paper b ON a.paper_id = b.rowid
WHERE b.paper_text MATCH 'automatically';

Notice the snippet bit: it takes the virtual table name (fts_paper in the case
of your examples) instead of the column name as an argument, which I find
curious. Your query would fail with the following error message:

SQL error: illegal first argument to html_snippet

> Hopefully we can convince DRH to include it somewhere prominent in the
> SQLite website instead of the scattered pieces on the wiki.

That would be nice. FTS is a real killer-feature that can make many things
much, much easier. It even seems to work well with Unicode, at least for the
German language with Umlauts and the Eszett (ß) and also symbols defined in
HTML (quotation marks, mathematical symbols, Greek letters etc). Love it :)

Andreas
--
Andreas Ntaflos
Vienna, Austria

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4