On 1 Aug 2009, at 11:07pm, Fred Williams wrote:

> SQLite was and has always been designed to be extremely cross platform
> portable, bare bones in both footprint and implementation.  It is, and
> should remain so.  If someone wants to take the open source and
> implement it
> in something like C# or Java, I think Dr. Hipp should contact them and
> politely ask them to change the name, because the end result will be
> neither
> that portable (C#) or efficient (Java.) MHO.

I don't have a problem with a port to other languages.  In fact
porting things to other platforms and other languages is a great way
to discover bugs in the original: first you have to actually read the
code, and second you find things that work only by coincidence.  But
porting is like making babies: the enthusiasm that goes into the
original work is not always reflected in maintenance.  And I hope that
Dr. Hipp is going to add some features or fix some bugs in the C
version of SQLite.  At that point the port is either going to be
incompatible, or require maintenance from someone who understands it.

So I would want to be sure that's going to happen before basing any
big project on the port.

Simon.