On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Pavel Ivanov <paiva...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> But I imagine
>> there are other issues as well - these are the issues I'd like to get
>> a bead on.
>
> I just keep wondering: do you want to write some new database engine
> based on SQLite so that it will heed all these caveats? Otherwise this
> discussion is useless because all these features are not implementable
> on top of SQLite and are way nontrivial to implement inside SQLite...

well said. This thread is like asking,

"What are the reasons SQLite is not like Oracle or PostGres?"

"Well, because... if it were then it wouldn't be zero conf, fit on a
floppy, and cost less than a popsicle"

"But, why is it not like PostGres or Oracle? Can't we make it so?"

"Given a few years of development, yes, we might, but then it would be
like Oracle and PostGres, and what would be the point of that? Just go
get Oracle or PostGres right now."

"Yes, but wouldn't it be nice to make SQLite like Oracle and PostGres?"

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org