On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 2:17 AM, Jens Miltner <j...@mac.com> wrote:

> Am 12.11.2009 um 20:08 schrieb Peter Haworth:
>
>> Thanks for all the info.  I believe the problem lies within Revolution
>> since I'm pretty sure it includes its own private library of the
>> sqlite code.  I've reported it to them and hopefully they will fix it.
>>
>> I understand the reasons for applications having their own copy of the
>> code like this but think there's equally good reasons why they should
>> use a common library installed on the computer, maybe as an option.
>> Right now, I have to rely on Revolution updating their code to solve
>> my problems whereas with a common library approach, I could download
>> and compile as several people have suggested and not have to rely on
>> Revolution.
>
> I'd say this depends on the type of application: if an application
> uses sqlite for it's internal data management, but none of the SQL
> functionality is exposed to the user, then there are good reasons to
> include a private copy: the app might rely on certain features not
> available in older sqlite distributions which may exist on the
> deployment systems, or it might even have added some extension to
> sqlite which it relies on, etc.
>
> However, for applications that expose the SQL functionality (like php,
> perl modules, Revolution, SQL editors, etc.), it does make sense to
> use a shared library, which allows the user to update the SQLite
> implementation without having to wait for an application update...

The Perl SQlite module, DBD::SQLite comes with its own built-in
sqlite. Initially, I thought that was going to be problematic, but
have come to like it that way. Everything in one package. I screwed up
my shared library once while experimenting with some funky build
options, but my applications dependent on DBD::SQLite kept humming.

> As usually: "it depends..." ;-)

Exactly.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org